Episode 16: Creating Stronger Relationships in Your Workplace, with Mo Fathelbab
Mo Fathelbab is the founder and president of Forum Resources Network, LLC and co-founder of Harvard Business School Alumni Forums. He is the author of two best-selling books, Forum: The Secret Advantage of Successful Leaders and The Friendship Advantage – 7 Keys to Building Relationships that Transform Culture and Drive Productivity.
Prior to that, Mo served as executive director of Entrepreneurs’ Organization (1991-1997) where he created the peer-to-peer Forum program content initiated hundreds of CEO Forums. Mo has worked with over 20,000 CEOs and Entrepreneurs over the course of nearly three decades in 33 countries.
Mo regularly speaks to groups of CEOs and their C-suite as well as chapters of YPO (Young Presidents’ Organization), EO (Entrepreneurs’ Organization), to audiences of more than 500 attendees. He has a popular TEDx talk and has appeared on many TV shows and podcasts as well as in many newspapers.
Personally, Mo is dedicated to health and fitness. He loves skiing, sailing, yoga, and stand-up paddleboarding. He has completed three marathons and an Ironman, and in 2018 he placed first in USA Yoga’s Midwest regional championships for men over 50. He is also a member of the board of the USA Yoga Federation. Mo lives in Alexandria, VA with his much better half, Sally, and their son, Eli.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- How Mo’s work with thousands of CEOs across many industries opened his eyes to the need for deeper relationships across many aspects of business leaders’ lives.
- How Gallup released information from a study revealing that if four out of ten people in the workplace have a friend at work, the company’s profits increase by 14%.
- What Mo’s seven relationship keys are: judgment-free, mischievous fun, vulnerability, kind truth, reliability, sharing, and generosity, and shared purpose and values.
- Why judgment-free is the first key, and how it creates a safe environment allows you to be yourself and have more fun.
- How mischievous fun and vulnerability help to promote authentic, close relationships with those around you, and what vulnerability looks like in the workplace.
- How Mo defines ‘kind truth’ and ‘clean with you’, and why kind truth is the secret to delivering feedback to someone without creating conflict.
- Why too many companies hire for skills and ignore values, and why a values alignment is crucial for an employee and leader to engage each other successfully.
- Why sharing and generosity and reliability round out Mo’s seven keys, and how they can be integrated into the workplace.
- Why stronger relationships within the workplace can help reduce stress and increase wellness, increase profitability and employee retention, and have many other benefits.
- The Friendship Advantage by Mo Fathelbab
- Forum Resources Network website: http://forumresourcesnetwork.com
- Successful Culture International website: www.successfulculture.com