Cody Foster is one of the co-founders of Advisors Excel. In 2004, after leaving a corporate job to partner with David Callanan to be independent financial advisors, he realized the support system for independent advisors was dramatically insufficient. So, in 2005, along with third partner Derek Thompson, they formed Advisors Excel with a goal of building a world-class support structure for independent financial advisors across the country.
Today they have over 650 employees and are responsible for generating over $7 billion in annual sales. Their success in achieving this has led to their story being featured in Success Magazine, Darren Hardy’s book “The Entrepreneur Roller Coaster” and Tony Robbins’ #1 New York Times bestselling book, “Money, Master the Game”.
Cody graduated from Washburn University in 1999 and has made Topeka his home ever since. He is a big believer in the future of the capital city of Kansas – having served as the Chairman of the Greater Topeka Partnership and a leading investor and developer in quality of life initiatives including The Cyrus Hotel, The Pennant, and Iron Rail Brewing.
As much as he enjoys business, his real love is family. Cody, and his wife Jennifer, a Topeka native and fellow Washburn graduate, have been married since 2001 and have two children, Dylan and Ella.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- How Advisors Excel has rapidly grown, and why culture has been a cornerstone of this remarkable growth.
- Why intentionality in the recruiting and hiring process was an important lesson Cody and his team learned during their period of growth.
- Why putting effort into hiring the right people who fit the company culture has improved productivity and helped scale the business quickly.
- How Advisors Excel’s four-step hiring process works to find the right candidates, and what timeframe the process is typically completed in.
- Why transparency and communication are important ingredients in Advisors Excel’s culture, and how intentionality has supported this transparency and communication.
- Why community service and engagement has become an important activity that has helped strengthen the culture and attract the right candidates.
- How the culture at Advisors Excel extends to the company’s engagements with their financial advisor clients.
- Why the company has created a program where the team and their families are rewarded with an all-expenses-paid vacation if they achieve a key stretch goal.
- Website: www.advisorsexcel.com
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/cody-foster-9013637
- LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/advisors-excel/
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/advisorsexcel/
- Twitter: @AdvisorsExcel1
- Successful Culture International website: www.successfulculture.com