We are in unchartered territory.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the coronavirus (COVID-19) has now spread worldwide as of March 12th, and has infected almost 150,000 people. Never before has an infectious disease wreaked havoc so quickly.
As leaders, we have an obligation to provide a safe place for our employees to work as well as to ensure that any fears about the coronavirus (or any other illness for that matter) are addressed.
- Objectivelyassess the situation before reacting, and become informed. Right now we are being bombarded with information 24/7. It’s very easy to get sucked into a free-falling doomsday spiral. As a C-level coach and strategist that has helped hundreds of leaders navigate difficult situations, I always remember that my clients are in an emotional place when they share their challenges. While I always believe their assessment, I know there are many truths to a situation. Part of my job is to help them see multiple perspectives and positions so that they can make the most informed, non-emotional decision possible.
- Respond with thoughtful urgency. In a crisis, time is of the essence. However, there is no room for hasty, reactive responses. Leaders must quickly weigh all options and then commit to a plan of action that protects the organization’s long-term interests.
- Seek help. I have 3 key advisers on speed dial. All leaders need a small network of experts that will provide honest feedback, clarity, and can help you devise a plan of action when your back is against the wall. I serve in the role for at least a dozen clients.
- Delegate and keep the business moving. It’s easy for a crisis to engulf you but you have an organization or a business to run. Set the course of action, activate your troops, and keep moving forward.
- Remember that flexibility is key. The best laid plans often need to be changed. Be prepared to pivot at a moment’s notice if your plans don’t resolve your problem.
SUCCESSFUL CULTURE INTERNATIONAL IS PREPARED TO HELP YOU NAVIGATE DIFFICULTY
- One-on-one coaching
- Small group coaching for leaders and managers
- Large group coaching for employees
Our SCALE Academy Is Online for Your Virtual Training Needs
- Emotional Intelligence
- Effective Communications Skills
- Conflict Management
- Giving and Receiving Feedback/Navigating Difficult Conversations